/ 15.1.11 / 16 Comments / blog award
Versatility…Makes for an Entertaining Blog
Recently, my friend, Maria, of Colour Me Happy started a fascinating discussion on what makes a blog ‘interesting’. She was speaking of design blogs in particular..but the comments—which you will find very informative, talked about blogging in general. The topic reminded me that I was overdue to accept and pass on a blog award that goes along with the idea of what makes a blog interesting.
A good blogging friend, Dee of “Make Mine Silk” and Dee-Cluttering My Life gave me an award that really pleased me more than I can say. It’s the Versatile Blogger award. Dee is an incredible fabric artist but I didn’t realize how much so, until I visited her fabric art blog. I had only known her as Dee of Dee-cluttering. But wow—what an artist with a needle and thread!! How did I miss this? I’m stumped—I love doing stuff like this but I’ve never tried to do the kind of needlework she does. She is definitely VERSATILE!
I hope my blogging is at LEAST versatile if it’s nothing else-Tee-hee! I don’t think I ever post about the same thing twice (except maybe when I’m on a roll). There are just so many fun things to do and to share with you.
1. Thank the person who gave you this award
2. Share 7 things about yourself.
3. Pass the award along to bloggers who you have recently discovered and who you think are fantastic for whatever reason! (in no particular order…)
4. Contact the bloggers you’ve picked and let them know about the award.
Ok—so I’ve thanked Dee (CHECK)…and now I’m supposed to share seven things about myself. (That’s the part I’d just as soon skip). :o) and I’ve spent the morning on passing the award on to some favorite new bloggers (plus a couple of old-time friends)…(CHECK)
Seven things about me…can I just give my stats??!!
Hair, weight, height, eye color, age?!(skip the weight part—Yipes! Still working on that one.) Oh phooey.. Well—to make this LESS boring—how about if I make seven ‘real life’ confessions? Ok here we go..
1. I once almost burned down the shed (and my sisters..possibly??) next to our house when I was eight. ( I was playing house and wanted a REAL stove!) That mischievous face (Upper left) was me…
2. I love mince-meat pie..Sigh..didn’t get any this Christmas because I would have eaten the whole thing by myself…eventually. (I know—it happens every year—I eat the whole thing!!) Kudos to me for NOT doing this THIS year.:o)
3. I live in a mobile home… Trying to make it look less so. It was either seven acres in a forest—plus the mobile home…or a nice home in town in suburbia. We chose the seven acres and the mobile home got thrown in to boot! (OK—so it’s pretty nice…but still it is what it is!!)
4. I’m a recovering clutterbug. I keep too much stuff…of course I eventually get rid of it too—hence my great posts on de-cluttering! Ha!
5. I sleep with a dog—no NOT my husband..I mean YES I SLEEP with my husband..but also with the dog..oh my..this is not going to work.. (How embarrassing!!) TMI!! I sure hope you understand this..because I’m not sure I do. (I ADORE our dog, Percy!..yes—I adore Hubby too!)
6. I took my school picture in a wig in fourth grade. Boy was Mom ever mad! I can’t say that I blame her, but I wanted long hair and she gave me the wig to placate me. (It was beautimous!!) She didn’t know that I’d secretly stick it in my purse and take it to school to wear. Ha!
7. I was a nerd in school. You know—the type who does nothing but live with their nose in a book. I was so afraid to be me—but books were safe—so I studied and studied. I loved school!! I’ve considered going back to college to finish my accounting degree, but I don’t think I like school as much as I used to. Now I’m having too much fun to spend that much time studying. (Gotta love those glasses!!)
Ok—enough of that! Now for the passing on of this award. I was trying to decided who the most versatile bloggers are that I know, that maybe I haven’t quite mentioned much to you about yet. First, here is the dictionary definition for versatile.. (I told you I was a nerd!)
Well, I must say that several blogs came to mind like Until Wednesday Calls, Colour Me Happy, 5 Minutes Just for Me, Shona of The Artistic Life, Rayanne of A Lovely Thought and especially Gloria’s blog Viva La Vida..all of whom I have featured in the past. But I thought this would be a good chance to introduce you to some blogs you may not have heard of or visited recently.
So here are the friends I’d like to pass on the Versatile Blogger Award to…
Ela of Life in My PJ’s
Ela has the CUTEST blog!! OMGoodness!! I love her theme, title and the great projects she shares. I’ve only just gotten to know her…and she definitely fits the definition of Versatile. So drop by for a lot of great ideas including home re-do projects, family stories, crafts, and more.
Ky is from Australia and as you already know, she takes lovely photographs of a place we’d all like to visit—Melborne, Australia. Her photos are like an online ‘virtual’ vacation as I showed you here. But what you may not know is that she is the OP queen. Don’t know what Op-ping is? (Don’t know if that’s the right way to spell that or not.) It’s thrift store bargain and antique shopping but Australian style. I always look forward to seeing the truly unusual and rare finds that she comes up with to show on her blog. She doesn’t know it, but for an ‘anglophile’ like me, her finds feel English. Her blog almost has a ‘magazine’ feel to it. Very classy! Why she doesn’t have a million followers—I don’t know. She’s one of the best kept secrets in BloggyLand. I’d love to have about 20 of my readers join her..or maybe 30..or..OK..you get what I mean. :o)
Jill is a homemaker with two sweet little children. She posts about their daily adventures which are amazingly creative, her latest recipes, and any interesting sights about town that she thinks her readers would enjoy. She is also going back to college…so she gets my vote for a versatile blogger for sure. If you would enjoy warm cozy afternoons in the kitchen doing fun school projects or cooking, then just hop over to Jill’s house. You will feel like you are sitting right there. And her little girl’s grins will make you grin right back. :o)
This blogger is just amazing. She sews all kinds of things..clothes, crafts, and especially quilts. I just drool over her quilts every week and she takes awesome photos of her vacations and home! I try not to be too jealous..but it’s hard. Wish I was retired—almost. :o) She has great posts and I enjoy reading about her latest family news too, since she is a Grandma like myself. You know, I think we have been friends for several YEARS. Considering this blog, is only a little over a year old—that’s saying something. I got to looking at old posts from my sewing blog, DC’s Creations, which I retired, and I think she was one of the first followers I ever had. (We’re talking 2008!) Thanks Needled Mom for hanging out with me so faithfully. I admire your quilts and your sweet quiet spirit more than you know. :o)
Mickey recently had a giveaway and guess who won it? Me!! Yippee!! She is a very accomplished seamstress, stage costume designer, ACTRESS in a Community Theatre, home school mother etc. And she makes the cutest crafts many of which are for sale in her ETSY shop! You too, will be amazed at all the unique things she comes up with to post about. I can just FEEL that we are in the same boat. Lots of teenagers and a very busy life. We ‘squeeeeze’ out the posts between a myriad of events—which makes her a pretty versatile blogger in my book. When life slows down for her, she’s going to blow bloggy-land away—because she is so talented!
Kerrie is high on the list—being very versatile indeed! She is one of my newest followers too and we have gotten to be good friends in a hurry. She has three blogs—one for her crafts, one for her daily life, and she has an ETSY shop—I think that qualifies in the VERSATILE category-Lol! She is like me in that she’s always thinking of new things to make, though hers are more ‘crafty’ oriented whereas mine are more practical. It’s a lot of fun seeing Kerrie’s newest creations. She has so many hobbies that I think she may have out done me! She AND her husband do woodworking and are crafty together..and she is such a good wife—caring for her hubby while he fights off cancer. They are a very brave couple!
Deb’s blog is mostly daily posts on the word of God. Her readers join her on her bible reading schedule and then she re-caps on the weekends. But she also loves to do craft projects and paints very well. She comes up with a myriad of interesting things to blog about including songs, recipes, weight loss, craft projects, and devotionals… Very versatile—I think!
Nana is one of my newest followers and blew my socks off with her gorgeous RedWork tutorial. If you know what that is, then you will love her tutorial. It’s pictures traced on white fabric, like dishcloths, and then embroidered all in red embroidery thread. She’s a fairly new blogger but has some great material! She has many interests and talents…which is why I gave her the award.
Whew!! It was so hard to pick, when you all are so amazing! But while I had a minute, I thought I’d share this award with a few of you and hopefully, you will find some new fun blogs to follow. :o)Have a great weekend. I do hope you enjoy visiting some of these blogs this weekend. You certainly won’t be bored!
Labels: blog award