/ 7.3.13 / 5 Comments /
An Electronic Entertaiment Fast for Lent
I just wanted to let you know that I'm about to be offline for a month. My son, who is 18, wanted to fast from all forms of electronic entertainment.. except music for Lent.
So I'm going to be off line through Easter.
I was so proud of Christian for taking up such a big challenge. We are Baptists but our pastor thought observing Lent would be great preparation for Easter. We all agree. This is one idea every Christian should consider doing.
It's only Day 3 but the idea was so great that I thought I'd share it with you before I sign off for the month. Already.. we have found things to do to fill the amazing amount of time left over. :)
- Planted a flower box of herbs and flowers
- Hung plants and birdfeeder on patio
- My son taught me how to strum faster (contemporary style) We played worship music together for hours yesterday.
- Read books
- Played Backgammon
- Taking meals to a couple of families in crisis today
- Made Easter gift packages for my grandkids.
- Read son's college reader and had a great discussion on the essays he was analyzing.
- He's exercising more.. I'm walking the dog more.
- Bible study
That's just three days worth! I must say that my teenage son and I have had more fun and closeness in these last three days than we have all year. He's doing very well. I was having a bit harder time. :)
Our whole family (the ones still at home) have taken up my 18 yr old's challenge to 'unplug'. So I'll see you at the end of the month.. maybe with a photo tour of our amazing experiences while being out of touch with the online world.
Have a wonderful Easter!